Small changes can make a difference. Cutting out certain foods and replacing them with healthier and more nutritious foods can make a huge difference in your health. I wanted to share a few tips with you today that will help you achieve optimal health. Even if you don’t have a health challenge at the moment, it is very important to be proactive in health prevention.
Here are 3 steps that inform you what you should be cutting out of your diet:
Step 1: Cut back on fast foods.
- Research shows a 50% increase in risk of obesity and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes when you eat fast food.
- Fast foods are packed with salt, calories, sugar and preservatives.
Step 2: Cut back on junk foods.
- Limit intake of snack foods like: cookies, candy, and potato chips.
- Junk foods have a lot of calories and little nutrition.
Step 3: Reduce soda intake.
- On average, it contains 140 calories and 9 teaspoons of sugar per serving.
- Drinking one soda a day can lead to a weight gain of 15 lbs per year.
- It is high in phosphorus, which can lead to a demineralization of bones and teeth.
- Diet sodas still contribute to craving sweets.
Now that we covered the things you SHOULDN’T do, here are a few things you SHOULD do for a healthy lifestyle:
DO Eat A Healthy Diet:
- Proper balance of macro-nutrients.
- Healthy protein.
- Heart-healthy foods.
- Complex carbohydrates.
- Vitamins and minerals.
What are Phytonutrients?
- Natural bioactive compounds in plants that confer colors to fruits and vegetables.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin in dark-green, leafy vegetables like spinach.
- Lycopene in red tomatoes.
- Beta carotene in orange carrots.
- Anthocyanins in purple grapes.
Eat Plenty of Omega-3s:
- AHA recommends two servings of fish per week.
Omega-3s can help:
- Lower blood pressure and triglycerides.
- Reduce risk of sudden death from heart attack.
- Essential for brain function and good health.
- Important for the health of skin, hair, nails and eyes.
Use Fish Oil Supplement:
- Fish can be contaminated with heavy metals, dioxins, and PCBs.
- EPA cautions eating certain types of fish for pregnant women, nursing mothers and children.
Keep A Healthy Intestine:
- Maintain right balance of healthy micro-organisms: promotes good digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- Supports natural immune function.
- Helps maintain long-term colon health.
- Take a probiotic to supplement to help achieve a healthy balance of intestinal microflora.
- 134 million Americans are overweight.
- Maintaining an ideal weight decreases your risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
- It’s important to find a weight loss plan where you will keep muscle you have, while burning fat, and losing the inches you don’t want.
Remember, you can take control of your health! If you can take the time to care for your car and get the right parts for it, then you can definitely take the time to maintain good health. Be proactive with your health prevention plan!